It’s common to get hemorrhoids during pregnancy. Many women get them in the third trimester. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in your rectum that can cause itching. burning, pain, or bleeding. You’re more likely to get hemorrhoids if you’re constipated because straining to have a bowel movement swells your veins. Your growing baby also puts pressure on the large veins behind your uterus. Hemorrhoids usually go away soon after your baby is born.
Call Doctor If:
- You want to use a hemorrhoid cream or take a stool softener .
- You are bleeding or feeling severe rectal pain.
- Eat high-fiber foods to prevent constipation. Good choices include whole-grain breads and cereals, fruit and vegetables, and beans.
- Drink plenty of water to ease constipation. A glass of prune juice may also help.
- Don’t stand or sit for a long time because it puts pressure on the veins in your lower body. If you sit on the job, get up and move around for a few minutes every hour.
- Exercise 30 minutes most days, with your doctor’s OK.
- Soak in warm water several times a day to relieve pain.
- Apply an ice pack or cold compress for 10 minutes up to four times a day to reduce swelling.
- Use unscented, non-alcohol wet wipes if toilet paper irritates you.
WebMD Medical Reference Reviewed by Traci C. Johnson, MD on May 17, 2016
American Academy of Family Physicians: "Changes in Your Body During Pregnancy: Third Trimester."
March of Dimes: "Your Pregnant Body: Hemorrhoids."
Nemours Foundation: "Pregnancy Questions & Answers."
Staroselsky, A. Canadian Family Physician. February 2008.
University of Rochester Medical Center: "Managing Hemorrhoids and Varicose Veins in Pregnancy."
© 2016 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
Tag Archives: Hemorrhoid Treatment Rubber band ligation is one of the most common outpatient treatments available for the Minnesotan patients with internal hemorrhoids. It is a better option…
Natural Hemorrhoid Treatment for Intermal and External Hemorrhoids When googling the search terms natural hemorrhoid treatment you will find 8,100 Google-hits (per month) in the United States…
Hemorrhoid Home Remedies While they can’t get rid of the underlying problem completely, hemorrhoid home remedies can be used as a way to temporarily relieve irritating hemorrhoid symptoms while…
Hemorrhoids home treatment is what most people with hemorrhoids do. If you have mild to moderate symptoms this is probably safe but if there is a lot of bleeding and pain it is good to cunsult…
Homeopathy Hemorrhoid #8211; Homeopathy Treatment and Homeopathic Remedies Hemorrhoids ( AmE ), haemorrhoids ( BrE ), emerods . or piles are varicosities or swelling and inflammation of veins…
Dr. Lev Haimoff, Diplomate of the Americal Board of Internal Medicine, offers comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of vast variety of medical conditions including hemorrhoids. He brings…