Health Benefits Of Carob
Carob is an evergreen flowering shrub, belonging to the pea family. Native to the Mediterranean region especially in the eastern and southern area of Spain, carob is cultivated for its edible seeds. It is found in its natural form in Southern Anatolia, Cyprus, Syria, Greece, Spain, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya and Israel. Consumed since ancient times, it is also known as Saint John’s Bread or locust bean. The dried carob fruit is traditionally consumed on Jewish holidays and the juice is taken by Muslims, during the Islamic month of Ramadan. It is used as a substitute in making various products such as baked goods, bars, snacks, cereal, dairy products, cocoa-containing products and beverages. Read on further to know the different health and nutrition benefits of eating carob and also find its nutritional value.
Nutritional Value of Carob
Amount of Carob Flour: 1 cup
Total Weight of Carob Flour: 103 g
Nutrition and Health Benefits of Eating Carob
- Carob tannins contain Gallic acid that works as an analgesic, anti-allergic, antibacterial, antioxidant, antiviral and antiseptic.
- Carob improves digestion and lowers cholesterol level in the blood.
- It is used for treating diarrhea in children and adults alike.
- Since it does not contain caffeine, carob benefits people with high blood pressure.
- Regular use of carob helps in preventing lung cancer.
- The vitamin E content in carob helps in treating cough, flu, anemia and osteoclasis.
- The Gallic acid in carob helps in preventing and treating polio in children.
- Carob fights against osteoporosis, due to its richness in phosphorus and calcium.
- Carob pod husks are chewed by singers to clear the voice and throat.
- Carob forms an important commercial stabilizer and thickener in bakery goods, ice cream, jelly, salad dressings, cheese, bologna, sauces, salami, canned meats, fish, mustard and other food products.
- The carob powder is used as a substitute for cocoa powder or chocolate in cakes, cookies and candies.
- Hot beverages are made using carob powder, instead of coffee.
- For making cookies and muffins, carob chips are used in place of chocolate chips.
View your shopping cart.
Copyright © 2009–2016 Real Raw Food. All rights reserved.
Health benefits of Natural Mineral Hot Springs There is nothing that makes me feel better, physically, mentally, or emotionally, than a long soak in searing hot mineral springs. My aches and…
The health benefits of lavender essential oil include its ability to eliminate nervous tension, relieve pain, disinfect the scalp and skin. enhance blood circulation and treat respiratory…
Health Benefits of Coconuts From coconut milk to coconut cream to coconut water and beyond, the coconut is a miracle food in many ways. The palm tree, from which the coconut grows, is known in…
The health benefits of Rose Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties as an antidepressant, antiphlogistic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antiviral, aphrodisiac, astringent, bactericidal,…
Garlic Health Benefits #8211; Why You Should Eat Raw Garlic Daily Garlic is a vegetable and is a species of the onion genus. Garlic is often used to add flavor to recipes and dishes. However,…
Hypericum oil is widely used for sunburns (first degree), nerve traumas, sore muscles, bruising burns (first degree), varicose veins, sciatica, rheumatic pains and joint pains. It is also used…